CryptoPrevent: unable to keep "Block Temp..." selected

Discuss CryptoPrevent and CryptoPrevent Premium here.
Forum rules
Please start a new thread for each new topic!

CryptoPrevent: unable to keep "Block Temp..." selected

Postby Cotton » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:04 pm

Hello Nick,

First- Thanks for writing CryptoPrevent. I learned about it from a post on Krebs.

One quick question: I'm running Win7 Ultimate (64/English), and after installing CryptoPrevent, I checked the "Block Temp Extracted Executables....." box, then tested successfully, restarted my machine, and upon running the utility again, found the option was still un-checked. After trying several more times, I'm unable to get this option to "stick". For what it's worth, I'm running Bit Defender, but it didn't seem to have any problems with CryptoPrevent running.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Cotton

Re: CryptoPrevent: unable to keep "Block Temp..." selected

Postby Nick » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:35 pm

sorry about this, but the program doesn't 'remember' your previous settings when you re-run it, but rest assured the protection (block temp extracted executables) is STILL applied to regardless of the checkbox status when you re-run the program. the only time it wouldn't be is if, for example, you re-applied the protection with that box unchecked.

Just an FYI, that setting is unchecked by default for good reason - it can cause issues with other application installations (e.g. Firefox won't install with that option enabled, for example -- anything using 7zip self extraction really.) I honestly feel that this particular protection method is unnecessary and annoying. I really only still have the option available for the paranoid types (no offense) who, if they ran into a problem with an app installation or other issue, would understand that they should undo the protection temporarily. Unfortunately my best guess is that the majority of the people downloading CryptoPrevent may not be savvy enough to realize this, therefore by default it is left unchecked each time the program is run.
Author of d7/d7II and other PC technician's tools. http://www.FoolishIT.com

Nick
Site Admin

Re: CryptoPrevent: unable to keep "Block Temp..." selected

Postby Cotton » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 am

Thanks for the reply.

One reason I'm playing with this option is that I found a Ruby interpreter running in temp after having been extracted there. I started looking because there was a lot of HD activity that I found was due to this guy. I may be paranoid, but I couldn't think of a good reason for the HD to be thrashing and this process to be using so much CPU time. I ran across the Krebs article and your utility the next day- I'm glad the feature exists.

Thanks again for the utility and your time.
Cotton

Return to CryptoPrevent